Check Room Availability
Voskopoja is an early medieval settlement dating back to 1330. Voskopoja's greatest flowering was in 1764, when its population reached about 30,000 inhabitants. In that period there were 25 churches with frescoes, while no more than eight churches have left. There was the Academy, the Library, the Printing House, the developed handicraft and textile. It served as a connecting bridge not only within the country but also between the neighboring countries of Greece and Turkey. The goods that were produced in Voskopoja were famous and sometimes they were distinguished by an eagle carved on them. Voskopja was destroyed by several fires. The first devastation was in 1769, the second in 1789 and the third in 1916. A part of the Voskopoja’s merchants settled in Korca and Berat while most left for Thessaly, Austria, the Kingdom of Hungary as well as in Transylvania. The city began to recover during the 19th century, but was finally destroyed in 1916, during the First World War. Since then, Moskopoli, or Voskopoja as it is called today, was transformed into a small village. However, the traces of the remaining constructions and the beautiful nature of this place make it attractive to thousands of visitors every year. Today in Voskopoja there are five large basilicas, a monastery, several churches, two bridges, some fragments of the main streets of the city and hundreds of square meters of wall paintings that give visitors the opportunity to create the image of the former grandeur.